Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FEEDING MINIATURES

I HAVE MINIATURE HORSES FROM NEW BORN TO AGE 14. WHAT DO YOU RECOMEND TO FEED. I FEED TIM HAY OR A ORCHARD GRASS MIX IF I CAN. I USE TRIPLE CROWN COMPLETE. IS THERE ENOUGH NUTRITION IN THIS FOR BROOD MARES, LACTATING MARES, AND FOALS? WHAT ABOUT FEEDING THE EASY KEEPERS? DR. SARA RALSTON FROM RUGTERS SAID JUST FEED HAY, BUT THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. THEY LOOKED POOR ESP. THE BROOD MARE. SHE WAS THIN & ROUGH COATED. I HAVE A FEW BIG HORSES TOO. THEY PASTURE AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES. I PUT THE MINIS OUT ONLY HALF A DAY OR THEY GET TOO FAT. HORSES ARE OUT 24/7. I DON'T FEED THE HORSES, BIG ONES ANY GRAIN, JUST GRASS AND HAY. THE LOOK GREAT IN THE SUMMER, BUT LOOSE CONDITION IN THE WINTER. THE ARE STANDARDBREDS. THEY MUST BE LACKING VITS, AND MINERALS. I DOD NOT GET THE HAY ANALYSED. IT IS LOCAL HAY FOR THE MOST PART. I DO FEED A LITTLE ALFALFA IF I CAN SEP. IN THE WINTER. I HAVE A 27 YEAR OLD MARE AND THIS IS THE FIRST YR. SHE IS STARTING TO LOOK OLDISH. SHE ALSO HAS SOME ACHES AND PAINS. RECOMD. ANY THING?

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? BY LUCK

Re: FEEDING MINIATURES

Hi Dale,

Well, you sure have a lot of variety! And, I can really only speak in generalities since it is not clear if there are any underlying medical conditions -- especially with your brood mares and your 27 year old.

However, feeding only grass is not enough, in my opinion. The protein quality of grass is not high enough to support a pregnancy, and even adequate body condition, immune response, and overall health. Alfalfa is good to add, but it should be added throughout the year.

Triple Crown Low Starch is a good choice for all of your horses, including the minis. And, your brood mares can benefit from a vitamin/mineral supplement that is designed for them. I use Vita-Key Mare and Foal. For your others, offer them a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Vita-Key Antioxidant Concentrate, Grand Complete, or Vita-Flex Accel.

Your older mare would likely benefit from a joint supplement, along with flaxseed meal to provide the anti-inflammatory properties of omega 3 fatty acids.

I hope this helps! Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Re: FEEDING MINIATURES

THANKS FOR THE HELP.