Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
6 year old thoroughbred

I feed Triple Crown Senior to my 3 horses. Ages 11,19 and 6. The 11 and 19 year old are carrying a little extra weight and do occasional pleasure riding. The 6 year old appears to be a hard keeper. We have only had him for a few months. He gets about 10 pounds of Senior a day and all the hay he can eat and pasture which is just starting to come up. It is really nesassary to feed all these supplements to a healthy young horse? Does the Senior feed have everything in it that he needs to remain healthy and energetic as he is now. What would you suggest to someone with a limited budget to feed a hard keeper.

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? Search

Re: 6 year old thoroughbred

Hi Jackie,

Feeding 10 pounds of senior feed a day is really very risky. First, a horse’s stomach is not large enough to accommodate a large meal, so unless you are feeding 4 meals a day, you are overfeeding and increasing the risk of colic. A meal size should be limited to no more than 3 lbs.

Also, this feed is high in soluble carbohydrates, from grains, which increases the risk of laminitis in all of your horses, if overfed. It is much better to feed a low starch feed. Consider switching to Triple Crown Low Starch.

Now – getting to your hard keeper – it would best if you could rule out any medical problem, such as an ulcer, to determine the cause of his underweight. If you are certain that he is in good health, you can keep his diet simple by offering hay and pasture along with alfalfa. This will help him a high quality protein to build muscle tissue as well as keep him healthy in general.

Supplements are not always necessary, especially if you are feeding a complete ration that is already supplemented with vitamins and minerals. However, in the case of an underweight horse or other special needs, it really can make a difference. So, for your youngest one, you can offer a small meal of low starch feed, along with some beet pulp, and alfalfa pellets – this will cut down on costs and make things safer. And, a good supplement to provide omega 3 fatty acids is very important in helping him gain weight. Grand Complete is a good idea or Vita Flex Hard Keeper.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,
I have never heard of Grand Complete. Do you know who makes it? Is it available at feed stores or tack shops. If I were to give the 6 year old smaller meals but the same amount of senior feed which has beet pulp in it how much Vita Flex Hard Keeper or Grand Complete would I give him? Would you rather he was fed something else altogether rather than the Senior. Would a low starch feed have everything my 19 year old needs to remain happy and healthy?
Thank you
Jackie

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? Search

Hello Jackie,

Grand Complete is made by Grand Meadows. You can read about it on my website at: www.gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/grandcomplete.htm

The Grand Complete would be more economical to feed since you can offer a 2 ounce serving, as long as you continue to feed a complete ration. However, instead of the Senior feed, all of your horses would benefit from a low starch feed. Yes, this is especially important for your 19 year old since older horses often tend to develop age related hormonal problems and benefit from a more even insulin response that low starch feeds offer.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty