Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vitamin B1

Can you tell me if using a vitamin B1 supplement in grain can really be helpful in settling a nervous horse? I've heard this is true, but seems odd to me.
Thanks-
LeAnn

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: Vitamin B1

Hi LeAnn,

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) along with other B vitamins can help calm the nervous system. So, it is best to offer a B-Complex, rather than just one B vitamin.

Also, feeding a high starch diet, such as one that consists of a lot of grain, produces sharp peaks and valleys in blood sugar (glucose) levels, which some horses respond to by exhibiting “hot” behavior, and mood swings.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty,
Thanks so much for your response. Is there a particular B Complex supplement product you can recommend?
Thanks-
LeAnn

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? friend

Hi LeAnn,

I would suggest B-Plex by HorseTech. I would also recommend feeding Ration Plus to boost the health of the bacterial flora and their ability to produce B vitamins.

Dr. Getty