Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding weanlings

Hi! I love reading your forum. I am feeding two six mo. old babies and would like to know if beet pulp and ground flax seed is good for them. The only thing is that the beet pulp available in my area also has molasses added. Is that OK? I would like to add to it Gro & Win as a vitamin supplement. I understand it is best to stay away from the sweet feeds we are used to feeding and my older horses seem to like the beet pulp and flax. I'm just not sure if it is enough for the babies. Thank you for you help.

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Equine Nutrition search

Re: Feeding weanlings

Hello D –

The babies will do quite well on a mixture of beet pulp, flaxseed meal, and Gro & Win. This, in addition, to hay or pasture at all times, will be quite balanced. However, you will want to keep the sweetened beet pulp to a minimum. High levels of soluble carbohydrates have been connected to orthopedic disorders in developing horses. So, perhaps you can ask your feed dealer to order unsweetened beet pulp or buy it in the next town.

Thanks for asking.

All the best,

Dr. Getty