Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Change of feed

We have a 12 yr old Thoroughbred.( Gelding).Since buying from the previous owner he has gone from docile to extremely hot.Bucking, taking off etc.There has been a food change.He was on what we call a cool feed here in SA.Lucerne.oats,maize,wheaten bran,soya bean oil cake,molasses etc.At the new yard he is not on cool feed at all.The composition still unknown but working on it.They have grass 3 times a day as well.Could the change in feed have something to do with change in the horse?He has about 4kg pellets per day and weights about 500kg

Where are you from? South Africa

How did you locate this forum? Searching Ineternet

Re: Change of feed

Hello Bronwynne,

Yes, the composition of feed can have something to do with behavior. But, more than likely, his hot behavior is due to the change in his environment and ownership.

What you can do nutritionally is to make certain that he has opportunity to graze on pasture or grass hay all of the time, is allowed to be outside of his stall at least as much time as he was before, and offer him a B-Complex vitamin supplement to help ease his stress level.

In all honesty, his hot nature sounds like more of a stress/fear response than a nutrition one. This is common with many horses, especially with thoroughbreds; they are very sensitive animals. You may wish to consult with an animal behaviorist to help him work through his fears.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you so much for the info.we are going to change his feed gradually.I looked at his feed closely yesterday and saw that the feed at the moment is high in Maize and Molasses.I am going to put him on a Maize free diet and will add the Vitamin B as well.

Many thanks

Bronwynne

Where are you from? South Africa

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Hello Bronwynne,

That would be very helpful. I found it a bit odd that the “cool feed” was one that contained corn and molasses. Both of these increase the blood sugar (glucose) levels quite dramatically. And, many horses exhibit mood swings due the resulting insulin response. So, removing maize (corn) and molasses will be helpful. Since I do not know what feeds you have available in your area, I cannot make any suggestions. However, if you let me know what you are considering, I would be happy to tell you which choices are best.

Dr. Getty