Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
selenium

Hi Dr. Getty,

I am feeding 2 lbs of Ultium a day along with safflower oil and alfalfa cubes. I wanted to add selenium and vitamin E to that but noticed the label on the ultium cautioned against adding any more than .3 ppm added selenium per day. The supplemental vitamin E and Selenium I am using has 70 ppm per pound of selenium so I am confused about how to measure the selenium per day to avoid the toxic levels. The supplemental selenium also states it has 1 gram of selenium to each 1/2 oz. Is there a way to convert all of this?
Joy

Where are you from? New Kent Va

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: selenium

Hi Joy,

A horse needs between 1 and 3 mg of selenium per day.

The Ultium has approximately .55 ppm of selenium added. So, 2 lbs of Ultium will provide approximately .5 mg of selenium (2 lbs is equivalent to 908,000 mg. 908,000 X .55 divided by 1,000,000, gives you approximately .5 mg of selenium).

If you feed ½ ounce of your supplement, you’ll increase the total amount of Se to approximately 1.5 mg (your supplement has 1 mg per ½ ounce, not 1 gram). This is fine and perfectly safe.

The overall concentration of the diet that consists of 2 lbs of Ultium, plus forages, and the supplement will be well within the safe range of .1 to .3 ppm. To get an exact amount of selenium would require knowing the selenium content of everything you are feeding, and then adding them together.

Dr. Getty

Re: selenium

Thanks alot!! I was worried

Joy

Where are you from? New Kent Va

How did you locate this forum? surfing