Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Seminole Pelleted Feed

We have 2 horses & 1 foal. We feed our 14 yo gelding 3 lbs/day Seminole Gold Chance 12% and the mare (6 lbs)& filly (as much as she wants but is about 3 lbs) Seminole Mare & Foal 14%. www.seminolefeed.com. They are both given free choice bermuda grass hay and we have bahia/bermuda grass pasture in summer/fall & winter rye over the winter/spring. They are on 24 hour turnout unless the weather is really nasty and we usually have to mow the pasture about every 2-3 weeks because they don't keep it down. They have free access to salt & mineral chew blocks (the big ones). I have been reading on many forums that pelleted feeds & sweet feeds aren't "good" for horses, but ours seem to be perfectly healthy and maintain weight easily. We are casual riders (perhaps a few hours per week). I want to do the best by my horses and we are feeding, from what I understand, a very good feed especially in combo with free choice hay & pasture.

Thank you. Your forum is great!

Where are you from? Valdosta, GA

How did you locate this forum? Link from complete foaling manual website

Re: Seminole Pelleted Feed

Hi Susan,

Your lactating mare does require a great deal of energy, so a Mare and Foal feed is recommended. Her nutritional needs during the first three months of lactation are actually twice as much as they were during her last 2 months of pregnancy!

But, it is true that a high starch/sugar diet is detrimental for horses. It can lead to laminitis, metabolic syndrome, and orthopedic disorders in foals, among other things.

Free choice hay/pasture is best for them, along with additional energy from insoluble carbohydrate sources such as beet pulp and stabilized rice bran. Flaxseed meal is also beneficial because of its high omega 3 fatty acid content. There are complete feed rations available that are low in grain (starch) and also contain these ingredients, as well as alfalfa (which is important for protein balance).

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

So are you suggesting we keep our mare & foal on their pelleted feed but put take our gelding off his? When we wean the foal, should we take both the foal & mare off the pelleted feed and replace it with the items in your post? I want to be sure our foal has proper nutrition (well all of my horses, but foals have special needs) for good, healthy growth. I travel a bit and feeding is left to my husband while I'm gone, so I need something that is simple for him. He is neither a good cook or chemist!

Thank you for your help.

Where are you from? Valdosta, GA

How did you locate this forum? Link from complete foaling manual website

Hi Susan,

The easiest way for you (and your hubby) to feed would be to obtain a complete feed that is low in starch, high in fiber, fat, and protein. The Seminole feed that you are using is made from oats and corn – not a good idea. I am particularly concerned about your foals normal development.

There are many good choices on the market – Farnam Platform feeds has just come out with a Mare and Foal product that is worthwhile looking into. There is also Triple Crown Low Starch and Purina Ultium, among others. See what is available at your local feed store and let me know – I’ll give you an idea which one is best. When looking at the ingredients, look for such items as alfalfa, flaxseed, stabilized rice bran, beet pulp, and/or soybean meal.

So, if you can find the Farnam product, that would be for your mare and your foal. But, you can simplify things by getting one of the others and offer it to all of your horses, in varying amounts.

And, of course, offer free choice hay and/or pasture along with some alfalfa hay or pellets to provide additional calcium for your mare.

All the best,
Dr. Getty