Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hypp

I have an hypp horse that eats oats and grass hay, I was wondering if you can tell me what the best supplement would be to balance his diet. Right now I feed him Opt-E-Horse for the vitamins and minerals, he also gets MSM, synovi msm, and foundation for his feet.

Where are you from? ct

How did you locate this forum? barrelhorses.com

Re: hypp

Hello Sharon,
You’re on the right track with feeding oats. However, many grass hays can be high in potassium. The potassium levels in different grasses can vary dramatically. Oat hay would be a good choice, but Timothy or Bermuda or orchard grass are much higher. Here is a chart that may assist you:

Potassium Levels of hay (midbloom)*
Pangolagrass hay 1.27
Ryegrass hay 1.34
Oat hay 1.35
Bluegrass hay 1.40
Alfalfa hay 1.42
Coastal Bermudagrass 1.58
Red Clover hay 1.60
Timothy hay 1.61
Brome hay 1.74
Birdsfoot Trefoil hay 1.74
Kentucky Fescue hay 2.17
Orchardgrass hay 2.59

(*From TDI, Inc., source Nutrient requirements of Horses, Fifth Revised Edition, 1989.
Published by National Research Council)

You can also add beet pulp (unsweetened) to the diet for additional energy. This will allow you to feed a smaller portion of oats.

I would not feed Opt-E-Horse. It contains potassium. An antioxidant preparation, such as Vita-Key Antioxidant Concentrate will help your horse deal with the physical stress by adding additional amounts of vitamin E, C, and other essential nutrients. MSM is fine.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty