Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
shoeing

This may sound crazy! I have a barrel horse, he is 13. He has an old suspensory injury (right front) that will puff up from time to time, it is monitored closely by my vet, he had his splint bone removed last June. He was also diagnosed as a 7 year old with a navicular cist (left front). He wore aluminum shoes with a 2 degree pad, until he had surgery, we decided to work on getting his heels to grow, and we were pretty successful. He wore flat bar shoes for ten months ( I started him back in February, he had a lot of time off) We just put him back in regular steel shoes. My concern is he is moving a little short in front, typical for navicular, he didn't move this way with the degree pads, but lifted him is not good for the suspensory. So I think I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I know it might sound like I'm crazy to run him, but he loves what he does, and even my vet says he has a very big heart. Just to add I took him to his first barrel race last week since his surgery and he won it by a 1/2 a second. The best run of his career.

Where are you from? ct

How did you locate this forum? barrelhorses.com

Re: shoeing

Hi Sharon,

Your vet would be the best person to consult with regarding his ability to run. Navicular syndrome tends to get progressively worse as time goes on. But, from what you describe, it sounds as though his surgery was a great success! If I can help you with a feeding question, I’ll be happy to help.

All the best,

Dr. Getty