Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
older horse

hey there,
i have a 27 year old gelding which i want to build up for the winter period... i am currently feeding him hay in the morning for 7 days a week and lucerne chaff, rice bran and copra on alternate days... probably about 4 days... is there anything else i can feed him to bulk him up? , besides feeding him the extra 3 nights?

Where are you from? australia

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: older horse

Hi Belinda,

It is best to be consistent with his diet and offer him the same thing every day. This will keep the bacterial flora living in his digestive system in good health. So, feed him the same thing every night.

Your diet sounds balanced. Allow him to have hay available at all times. Hay also produces more body heat due to its fermentation.

Since I don’t know if he is underweight, or already of a good weight, I am reluctant to suggest any additional feeds. It is important to not get him overweight. If he is healthy, he should have a good winter coat started by now and will do fine in cold weather.

However, if he is underweight, or has trouble putting on weight, I would suggest that you offer him flaxseed (linseed) oil with each meal. I would also recommend a probiotic (live microbials) or Ration Plus (if it is available in your area) each day to help him better utilize his feed, so he can gain weight.

Keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty