Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The right feed for weight gain?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to feed a 16hh thoroughbred who has lost weight and condition after a long recovery period from a road accident? I have little idea about feeds or more to the point what each type of feed includes so any comments will be welcomed. At present he is on a basic alfalfa and an economy mix. I've been doing abit of research and read that maybe barley is good for weight gain and chopped alfalfa? Any comments no matter how small will be grately appreciated. cheers all.

Where are you from? essex

Re: The right feed for weight gain?

Hello Alexia,

Instead of feeding barley, your horse will gain weight more easily two ways:

1. Restore the bacterial flora in the hind gut to normal levels by giving him a probiotic. The stress of the accident likely had a negative effect on the health of the digestive system, and

2. Feed fat instead of grain. Fat has more calories per gram than carbohydrates (from grain). So, feed a weight gaining supplement or offer a high fat feed made from flaxseed and/or stabilized rice bran.

All the best,

Dr. Getty