Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what is the best way to treat ulcers

MY TWO YEAR OLD HAS ULCERS,WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TREAT THIS?

Where are you from? MS

How did you locate this forum? FRIEND

Re: what is the best way to treat ulcers

Hello,

The best way to treat an ulcer is to remove the cause and then provide Gastrogard (through your veterinarian). Most ulcers are caused by removing feed from horses for many hours. Horses, unlike humans, produce stomach acid all of the time, not only when there is food in the stomach. Therefore, it is very important for horses to be able to graze 24/7. This does two things. First, it promotes chewing which produces saliva flow. Saliva neutralizes stomach acid. Second, the presence of forages (hay, grass) absorbs stomach acid.

High starch diets seem to aggravate ulcers by further increasing stomach acid. And, intensive exercise and stress also increase ulcer formation.

One additional thing you can do is add corn oil to the meal – at 20 ml/100 kg of body weight (which, for a 1200 lb horse, translates into about 1/3 cup). Normally, I do not recommend corn oil, but the linoleic acid content has been shown to assist in the damaging effects of stomach acid.

You’ll want to ask your vet about administering Gastrogard. It is the same drug as found in the human medication, Prilosec.

Thank you for writing,

Dr. Getty

Re: what is the best way to treat ulcers

THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. GETTY FOR THE REPLY ON ULCER'S .PLAN TO START GASTROGARD SOON, AS FOR MY MARE BEING A BARREL HORSE DON'T NO IF SHE WILL BE ABLE DUE TO THE INTENSIVE WORK OUT'S SHE WOULD GET.
THANKS SO MUCH,WATKINS QUARTERHORSES.

Where are you from? MS

How did you locate this forum? FRIEND