Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bad Feet period!

We have some new boarders that were given a beautiful show Arab age 20 with what I would say are some of the most horrible feet I have seen in some time. This gelding has Navicular stage 2 in both front feet and very stiff and gimpy on front right especially. Has worn shoes most of his life. Was brought to my farm in March and reshod by my farrier in April. (Egg Bar shoes) Gelding lost the front shoe about 3 weeks ago. Owners were told to call farrier...but they waited until he came out after the shoe had been off for nearly 3 weeks. Farrier was unable to put shoes on front feet at all. No hoof wall period! Horse is fed Seminole Gold Chance with supplement for joints (Cosequin I think). What else can these owners do for their geldings poor feet? They are lightly riding him but he is very stiff and sore on that front right. Suggestions for supplements or anything to help with his problem?

Where are you from? Thomasville, GA

Re: Bad Feet period!

Hello Holly,

First thing I would do is have your vet take a look at him. There is a new type of shock wave therapy for navicular syndrome that sounds very interesting. I will send you an email with the article attached, since I am not able to attach documents via this forum. You may wish to show the article to the veterinarian.

About having no hoof wall – this can generally be improved upon through diet. I would suggest giving him a hoof supplement that contains the following:
20 mg of Biotin, along with Methionine, Lysine, Manganese, Copper, and Zinc, Sulfur, and Vitamin B6. Vita Flex makes a product called Master Hoof Blend that is quite good. There are other hoof products available, as well, so just make sure that it contains these nutrients. Be patient – it generally takes 3 to 6 months to see a difference – but it does work.

I hope this helps. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty