Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
weight gain

I have a gelding thats 1 1/2. He had diarrhea when we first got him we changed his diet from alfalfa to bermuda grass hay. It helped he's healthy just a little thin, any changes in his diet he seems to get (not diarrhea but a little loose). He's been wormed and had all his vaccinations. What can we give him besides the grass hay to help put some weight on him? Every one says something different. HELP

Where are you from? arizona

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: weight gain

Hello Tracy,

Alfalfa would not typically cause diarrhea and since he continues to have loose stools, it could indicate some other problem is at work here.

I would suggest that you first rule out any underlying medical condition that could be contributing to his underweight and his digestive upset. Once you have ruled that out, the best way to get him to gain weight is to feed him a high protein, high fat diet along with as much grass hay or pasture as he likes.

A yearling requires a large amount of Lysine – this is an essential amino acid that is not found in high quantities in grass and is necessary for the production of body tissues. So, I would recommend supplementing his diet with lysine.

I would also give him a complete ration that is low in grain, and high in flaxseed meal, beet pulp, and soybean meal. See what your feedstore has to offer and let me know – I’ll help you pick out a brand.

I hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty