Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
swelling

Dr Getty, hello
My old girl has a swollen back knee.
do you think that there is anything i can do for her. The injury is aprox a month old.
Hot or cold treatment? I think she may have pulled it in a muddy creek.
do you think it could possibly be to late to treat?
my last question, can you tell me the difference between butazone and cortazone? do you think these could help?
thanks marcie

Where are you from? B.C. Canada

Re: swelling

Hi Marcie,

At this stage of her injury, hot compresses would be best. At the same time, I would suggest that you give her MSM to ease the inflammation. Aspirin would also be helpful for a short term treatment.

Phenylbutazone is a non-steroidal of pain killer that reduces inflammation. Hydrocortizone is a steroid that reduces inflammation. They have different actions in the body and cannot be used long term.

If her pain is chronic, there are non-bute containing preparations available that may be helpful. However, first try MSM.

All the best,

Dr. Getty