Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Weight Gain For Appy Gelding Cribber

Part 1: Hi. I have a 9 year old Appaloosa Gelding. He currently gets 1/2 scoop of Triple Crown Complete and a half scoop of Triple Crown Senior both in the AM then again in the PM, so 2 scoops total, 2 quart scoop. Then he gets 1-2 flakes of Alfalfa/Timothy hay (depending on the thickness of the flake) both in the AM and PM. Ever since he lost his winter coat he looks so thin. He has lost about 100 lbs. He is a cribber but wears a cribbing collar and the cribbing is reduced. He just won't gain weight. He also has access to grass 24/7. What can I do?

Part 2: He may be moved to another facility where they feed crimped oats and Coastal Bermuda Hay. Is there going to be a problem with that? Will he have to be slowly put on that feeding program? Is there a problem with switching from Alfalpha/Timothy to Coastal Bermuda?

Sorry this is so long.
Kellie

Where are you from? South Carolina

How did you locate this forum? Search Engine

Re: Weight Gain For Appy Gelding Cribber

Hello Kellie,

To get him to gain weight, based on his current diet (and the one he will have in the near future), you will need to add a fat supplement designed for weight gain. Hard Keeper (Vita Flex) is an excellent product and there are others available, as well.

I have had a lot of success using Ration Plus to help with weight gain, as well as cribbing. Cribbing is generally stress-related, and the B vitamins that Ration Plus helps him produce will make a difference in this overall well-being.

Switching from TA to Coastal is problematic in that you are removing a very important protein source, alfalfa, from the diet. Alfalfa contains Lysine, an amino acid that is found in very low quantities in grass hay and oats. So, you can do one of two things: either add Lysine to the diet, or feed him alfalfa pellets with his meal, since the hay is not available.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you Dr. Getty. Is it ok to feed Alfalpha and occasionally through a flake of coastal? (Someone mixed up the hays and threw my horse coastal instead of Alphapha).

Hi Kellie,

I would not recommend a diet that is mostly from alfalfa. Of course, you did mention that he has access to pasture 24/7, so it is ok to feed a 50/50 mixture of alfalfa/coastal hay in addition to the grass diet. A 40/60 mixture would be a little better (a little less alfalfa than coastal).

Dr. Getty

What would you say the better hay is? Would you recommend coastal or an alfalpha/Timothy mix. If you only had the option of feeding just one. Thanks.

Where are you from? SC

Hi Kellie,

Timothy/Alfalfa mix -- definitely is better.

Dr. Getty :)

Thanks alot Dr. Getty.