Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LOW FAT FEED

Dear Dr. Getty:

Can you please explain to me (in easy to understand terms) the nutritional value of the different grains - oats, barley, corn, flaxseed meal, beet pulp. Have I missed any? I want to feed my horse the most natural way but I need something that will be low in fat. He gets lots of turnout with lush grass and plenty of grass hay. Thanks.

Sue

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing

Re: LOW FAT FEED

Hi Sue,

The most natural way to feed your horse would be to combine grass and legume hays or pastures. So, along with the grass hay, add some alfalfa hay to the mix. This will boost the overall quality of the protein in his diet.

If he is exercised intensely, you can add some grain, but no more than 2 pounds per day. Grains – oats, barley, corn, etc., are high in starch. Corn is the worst in terms of its digestibility and therefore, I do not like feeding corn to horses. Too much grain can lead to laminitis and hormonal imbalances.

Flaxseed meal is high in the right kind of fat. But, if he is overweight, you certainly want to reduce the amount of flaxseed meal he gets. So, to keep him healthy, provide him with a small amount each day. Flaxseed meal is high in the omega 3 fatty acids which boost the health of his joints, his immune system, his heart, and all internal organs, as well as produce strong hoofs and healthy hair coat.

Beet pulp is a good source of calories that is safe to feed. It is often fed as a way to add calories to the diet when a horse needs to gain weight or is working hard.

Hope this helps clarify things.

All the best,

Dr. Getty