Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Insulin Resistance

Hi there my mare was diagnosed with laminitis approx 6 weeks ago and she has been recovering well, yesterday I allowed her access to a very small patch of grass (she would have eaten it down to bare earth in approx an hour!) and her pulses have raised again. I am now concerned that she could be insulin resistant as she has fat pads that will not budge even though she is now close to her correct weight.

I would like to get her diet right asap and I understand that it is the trace elements such as magnesium and zinc that are important in these cases but I just don't know where to start! Help!

Where are you from? East Suusex, UK

How did you locate this forum? via web search

Re: Insulin Resistance

Hello Lucy,

She may be insulin resistant, in which case, you will want to eliminate all grain, pelleted feeds that are grain-based, and all sweetened feeds, from her diet. This also includes treats that are high in sugar such as carrots and apples.

Instead, offer her high quality grass hay plus Lucerne hay or haylage (as long as it is not sweetened with molasses). She will need a combination of these two types of hay to provide her with high quality protein.

In addition, she should have a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that supplies adequate minerals, as you described, and vitamins to promote antioxidant activity, circulation, and energy production.

And finally, give her a probiotic every day. This is a supplement that contains microbes or microbial enzymes that boost the health of the bacteria that live in her digestive tract.

Keep me posted on her progress!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Insulin Resistance

Thank you! She is only on grass hay at the moment and I am trying to find a good all round feed balancer. I have had the relevant blood tests done and am waiting on the results, it seems now that I've paid out for the vet again she's taken a considerable leap forward in her recovery! LOL!

I'm not complaining really it's great to her mischievous personality returning.

Where are you from? East Suusex, UK

How did you locate this forum? via web search