Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Apple Cider Vinegar

Dr. Getty, I've heard that feeding Apple Cider Vinegar can help keep flies away - any proof of this? If so, how much should be fed? And will it help with mosquitoes? I have horses being eated alive by mosquitoes - is there anything I can give them to provide some relief?

Thank you.

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I too have heard about using apple cider vinegar for flies, however, the evidence is mostly anecdotal and not scientific. It is not harmful to feed, and most people who use it, give ½ cup per meal.

However, mosquitoes are another issue all together and are very difficult to control. There are insect repellant sprays, as you well know, but even they are not very effective. You might try giving your horse 500 mg of Vitamin B1 (thiamin) each day. There is some benefit regarding its ability to repel insects. But, nothing works 100%.

Hope you vaccinate against West Nile virus, since it is mosquito-borne.

All the best,

Dr. Getty