Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Electrolytes

Dr. Getty:

The temperature here in Ontario has been in the high 20s/low 30s (Celcius) for over a week. My horses are only in light work - do I need to worry about electrolytes. They have (white) salt blocks in their stalls. What are some guidelines for when and how to feed electrolytes? Thanks!

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

Re: Electrolytes

Hi Lisa,

If they are only doing light work, having a plain, iodized salt lick in their stalls is adequate. If they do not lick it (and some horses do not), then you should add 2 tablespoons of plain, iodized salt to their food each day.

Electrolytes, beyond salt, are generally unnecessary except in cases where a horse is sweating profusely for many hours during hard work.

Dr. Getty