Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fatting up my horse

hi,i was just wondering if you could help me out,i have a hot headed t/b,who is loosing weight im giving her hay and 3lots of sups as well.
she just doesnt seem to be putting the weight like she should be.one of the sups is barley but i cant think what the other 2 are. Some one said to give oats, but we know that she cant have them because they make her to hot headed and she is already like that,is there something im doing wrong or something else that i can give her,
She is not at the very poor stage yet but she has droped off and now is is at the moderate stage,im only just keeping her there with what im giving her,i would like her to put a little more weight on.
If you could help me that would be great.

Where are you from? NSW Australia

How did you locate this forum? web site

Re: fatting up my horse

Hi Kylie,

Adding grain to the diet, such as barley, oats, or corn, is not an effective way to increase weight. And, barley will also contribute to her “hot” moods just like oats will.

So, to help with both problems, I would reduce the amount of grain you are feeding. Instead, provide her with a high fat, high protein, high fiber feed. The reduced starch (from less grain) will help with her moods. And, the higher fat will help her gain weight. You should also consider adding some alfalfa to her diet.

I don’t know what feeds you have available in your area, so if you have a few to choose from, let me know and I’ll tell you which one is best.

You can also add some stabilized rice bran (which is high in fat), rice bran oil, or some flaxseed oil, to her diet to help her gain weight.

All the best,

Dr. Getty