Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
road founder

I have an 11 yr. Arab. gelding that got spoked and broke free, only to run about 8 miles thru unchartered areas at a very fast run. He was shod and about 1/2 of those miles was on a hard country road. He is in OK shape and is usually ridden on a hard road. Could he have damaged his hooves. He was stiff and sore in his chest muslces, but seems to be OK after acouple of wks rest. I rubbed him down with linament on his chest. What should I look for if he has damaged his feet. Would it have shown up by now about 2 wks later.

Where are you from? Illinois

Re: road founder

Hi Lianne,

Road founder can occur when a horse’s hooves take a beating on hard pavement for a long distance. However, you would likely see symptoms by now. If he does develop this condition, he will exhibit a characteristic “laminitis stance” where he will lean back on his back feet, and stretch out his front legs, in order to take weight off of his front feet.

If you notice this, or any other signs of lameness, you will want to contact your vet. Keep feeling his hooves. In early stages, his hooves will be very cold, since circulation will be limited. And, then shortly thereafter, the hooves get quite warm as blood rushes into the area.

Hope all goes well.

Dr. Getty