Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Senior Horse Care

I'm having NO problems with my l7yr. old TWH, but have read so much about Senior Horse Care that I want to know when he is truly a SENIOR?? Owning him and feeding him for 6years, 10%protein feed, only feeding hay in winter, not year round. He is turned out for 11-12hrs. at night on decent pasture, and grain twice a day.. The only thing I've noticed is he has slowed down a bit on the trail.. Where he & I once ran away and left the others, he keeps up but we're in the back.. This is great, as long as I know that I'm not pushing him.. No weight loss, he's velvety solid black and glistens, and no chewing problems.. Maybe I'm just reading tooo much---ya think??? Thank you.

Where are you from? KY

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Re: Senior Horse Care

Hi Susie,

Sounds like you’ve got a very young fella! 17 is not old, but he is getting up there, so it is wise that you are reading about his needs so you can be prepared for his later years. His joints may be losing some lubrication, which is slowing him down. And, as horses age they are more subject to hormonal problems, so a grain diet may not work much longer, unless you continue to keep him very active. Actually, exercising him is the best thing for his joints – so keep doing that.

He sounds gorgeous – keep up the good work!

Dr. Getty