Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Corn oil

Darn, now I read through some other postings and saw the discussion on corn oil... So, what flax seed products do you recommend? Should it be whole seeds or ground? How much should I feed to replace the calories of 2 cups of corn oil. So much to learn!

Where are you from? Seattle, WA

How did you locate this forum? searching MSN equine nutrition

Re: Corn oil

Hi Lydia,

In response to your earlier post, I talked about corn oil and suggested using flaxseed oil or canola oil. Flaxseed is better but it is also more expensive.

If you want to feed flaxseed meal, that is also a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, protein and other vitamins/minerals. Flaxseeds should always be ground. Do not feed whole flaxseeds because they will pass through the system undigested.

Since you’re feeding so much oil (2 cups of oil is really quite high) I would suggest you decrease your oil to no more than 1 cup each day. And add 1 lb of flaxseed meal to the diet. Omega Horseshine puts out a nice product.

Dr. Getty

i was told that corn oil does not break down well in their system and that they pass it through quickly without really doing much for them. that it is a waste of money and that weat germ oil or fax oil is the best. Is this true?

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? typed in equine nutrition forums

Hi Sass,

Corn oil is well digested by horses in the small intestine, just like other oils. However, what makes one oil different and/or better than another is the fatty acid content. Corn oil is high in omega 6 fatty acids (specifically linoleic acid) and while horses do require some of this essential fatty acid, corn oil provides more than necessary. Flaxseed oil is high in alpha-linolenic acid (an omega 3) which has many beneficial properties. Wheat germ oil is also high in omega 6 fatty acids.

Hope this helps clarify things. I see that you answered an earlier post of mine, and since that time, I have begun offering Nutra Flax, made by Horsetech, on my website -- this is a flaxseed meal that is stabilized and excellent for your horse's overall health.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Doc, I am still confused about the oils. what is the difference in omega 6 and 3? i guess i want to ask what is omega? which one is best for horses? What does flaxseed do for them? I will check out your product.
I was thinking of puttimg my mare on TizWiz energy glow since she has a sudden issue with eating Trotter. I don't think she liked the omegatin that I was adding to it. I ended up trying her on the Vintage Senior because I have it here for all my horses over 18 and she loves it. She is 8 years old.

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? typed in equine nutrition forums

Hi Sass,

"Omega" just refers to the chemical structure. What's important to know is that there are some types of fats that the horse's body must have in the diet. These include specific omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. They're both important, but too many of the omega 6's (found in corn oil and soybean oil, for example) can lead to inflammation. Whereas, flaxseed oil is high in omega 3's, which have the opposite effect and are quite beneficial in several body systems.

Dr. Getty