Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Senior mare and two youngsters

Dr. Getty, I am so happy to have found you. My sister will be pleased as well, as she is in to her dogs and feeds a natural diet, and is always incouraging me with my horses. After almost 30 yrs. of no horses, three years back into them, and always have questions about whats best for them. Due to lack of knoledge, the two young horses are getting three pounds of nutrena safe choice bid, and the 17yr old gets the nutrena senior, they all gethay, coastal type however green soft and smellsso good, and pasture at lib. Ive been offered a hay at a good price, locally cut. Its called Bahaya {sp}I dont know anything about it, if its ok to feed and I havent seen it yet. My old girl was injured severly about six wks. ago recovering nicely, how ever lost some weight.She has been stalled, being let out eod, now going out daily. She was basically rescued about six months ago and had to deworm slowly every eight weeks, is now on daily wormer, they see Vet. as needed get vaccs, teeth care, etc. Ive always been concerned about diet. They all look healthy, however Ive thought about probiotics or something to improve my old girl. Please get me on a healthier coarse without braking the bank. My Vet. though very good, is as I am, from Texas and we all tend to have an, if its not broke dont fix it approach. Ha Thank you very much for any advise, Rhonda P.S. Horses are arab, and quarter.

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? I was looking for info. about certain type of hay.

Re: Senior mare and two youngsters

Hi Rhonda,

You are doing a fine job! I would also give your 17 year old the Safe Choice, instead of the senior, since it is best to reduce the carbohydrate load.

What I would recommend for your old gal is Ration Plus. This is a probiotic that boosts the overall health of the bacterial flora in the hind gut, making it easier to gain weight and utilize the nutrients from her diet. Until she gets back to normal, I would suggest a double dose (2 teaspoons per day) and then you can cut back to the regular 1 tsp/day dose for maintenance.

I would also suggest adding some alfalfa hay to their diet to improve the protein quality for your young’ns and your older mare.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty, Thank you for your time and rec. When we get everyone back to normal, I,d like to have a phone consultation with you. After reading some of the other questions and answers, I went ahead and started changing my senior over to safe choice. I,ll get the ration plus. I suspected she needed a probiotic to replace the healthy or good bacteria, since she was on antibiotics for two weeks. Its been six weeks now and her wounds are healing nicely, granulating in now. So this will help with digestion as well as obsorbtion? She does need some weight along her top line, and loose the belly. She is 17, has never foaled and has a big belly. Perhaps its gas? I,d like to mention my over grown Paint large boned, 16 hand 4 yr old. he has the white hooves, I,ve tried biotin and use topical Rain Maker. I didnt notice any change. Do you have a book on all the suppliments and how and when and what to use? You are an answer to my preyers, by the way the bahaia grass hay turned out to be sub standard, I used to mix alfalfa with coastal, however the alfalfa we get down here in Houston Texas doesnt look to good . Thank you, Rhonda, Angel, Pelli and Sonny

How did you locate this forum? I was looking for info. about certain type of hay.

Oh, I wanted to mention a neat thing my sister did. My old rescued mare, whom was very thin when we rescued, it took a while for her to gain weight. A few months ago she seemed restless looking at her belly and swishing her tail. She may have been ovulating, but i had,nt seen her pass any stool. So I became very alarmed. My sister is very much into human nutrician, she said she needed live enzymes and came over with a tub of carrot juice, needless to say the mare slurped it down and with in 30-45 mins. had four bowl movements. She still swished her tail. So I,m wandering if a horse with very low body weight, is like a human who is also anarexic and stops ovulating? My be my old girl forgot what the discomfort was like. She has gotten a bit punky since she has become healthy. Thanks, Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

You are wise to put her on Ration Plus, not only for the reasons I mentioned, but since she is on antibiotics, she needs to replenish the “good” bacteria that are killed by antibiotics. The bacterial flora are so essential to your horse’s health and they need to be kept in top form for digestion, and absorption of nutrients. You can find more info about it on my website’s store at www.gettyequinenutrition.biz/ration_plus/ration_plus.htm.

A big belly is not fat – you’re right – it’s generally gas from fermentation. It’s usually not a problem, but if the hay is of poor quality, there will be more gas production, so it’s important to feed high quality hay (which I see you are doing). And, if the alfalfa is not so good in Houston, you can always add some alfalfa pellets to the diet.

Oh, about the white hooves – they are just as strong as dark hooves, unlike the myths you hear. It’s just that you can see all the bruises and imperfections more easily. A good hoof supplement that contains not only biotin, but other nutrients (such as Master’s hoof blend) is a good route to take.

About your rescued mare – yes, if her body fat level gets low, she can stop ovulating. But, ovulating or lack thereof, would not cause constipation like you described. Is she perhaps consuming sand from the ground while eating hay or pasture? I’m glad the carrot juice helped. But, if this continues to occur, there is something else going on that may need further investigation.

So, I hope this is helpful. I’ll be happy to set up a phone appointment with you whenever you wish to do so.

Dr. Getty

Thank you for a fast reply, as I did leave out some detales on my old girl,Angel. She only had one episodeof the constipation, or ovulation thing. Thank goodness. She was only on antibiotics for ten days,how ever I plan to use the RATION PLUS, I,ve wanted to step out side the box. ha, just didnt want to throw anything out of balance, not knowing enough can get a poor sole in trouble. I look forward to talking with you. Rhonda