Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hay belly

Hey Dr. Getty,
Hope all is going well for you. I have a question for you if you don't mind.

While tequila's coat looks 100 Percent better, and he has not gained any more fat stores, he has developed a hay belly. He is eating half alfalfa and half coastal bermuda grass hay. I am wondering if it might be the coastal bermuda grass, since it is not a very high quality hay as far as I know.

The hays arvailble in my area are alfalfa, oat hay, coastal bermuda grass, orchard grass, and timothy grass. Could you tell me a little about the nutritional differences in these hays? That would be a great help. Is there any other type of hay that you would recomend? If so, why?

thank you again for all you help

Re: Hay belly

Hi Jamie,

Most grass hays are similar in nutritional content. What makes the content vary is the cutting, the way it is stored, and the age of the hay. The later cuttings typically have more stem and are not as nutritious. Or, if the hay has been stored for many months, it loses valuable vitamins.

A hay belly is a result of fermentation and feeding a poor quality hay will result in more gas formation. Timothy and orchard grass hays are cool weather hays and do have more digestible energy, so you may want to go with one of those, instead of the coastal Bermuda.

Nice hearing from you!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Ok, that might explain why my friends draft, who gets orchard instead of bermuda has yet to develope one. What about the oat hay (also known as three way hay)? It is the plant material from oats, barley and wheat. It is cut while the grains are still in the milk or dough stage. I have found it to be excellent for my rabbits, but I am not so sure for horses.

Where are you from? CA

How did you locate this forum? originally, google

Hi Jamie,

Three way hay contains some of the grain and I am especially wary of barley, since it is poorly digested in the small intestine, and much of it ends up in the hind gut, where it can cause the destruction of the bacterial flora. So, best bet – stick with a grass hay, and preferably, a grass/alfalfa mixture.

Dr. Getty