Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horse feed

Hi Dr. Getty,
My friend is opening a new stable in Koroea and I need help finding the protien and nutritinal comparison for orchard hay, rice hay and timothy hay. Also what is the best alternative for a mineral block for horse, and one more question what is the ratio to a horse mineral block to cow mineral blocks. Thank you sooooo much. In need of help, dara

Where are you from? Las Vegas

How did you locate this forum? ask.com

Re: Horse feed

Hello Dara,

I do not have data on “rice hay” per se. Perhaps you are talking about “rice hulls?” Rice hulls mainly consist of indigestible fiber that does not provide much in the way of nutrient value.

Here is some info that will help you with the other two hays:

Timothy Hay
Digestible Energy (Mcals/lb) -- .81
Crude Protein (%) (midbloom) -- 8.6
Calcium (%) -- .43
Phosphorus (%) -- .20
Magnesium (%) -- .12

Orchard Hay
Digestible Energy (Mcals/lb) -- .78
Crude Protein (%)Midbloom -- 7.6
Calcium (%)-- .24
Phosphorus (%)-- .27
Magnesium (%) -- .10

Regarding mineral blocks… I generally recommend that you use a plain, preferably iodized, salt block instead of a mineralized block. Most horses do not like mineralized blocks and depending on the diet, this type of block provide more minerals than necessary.

When purchasing a mineral block, choose one that is for horses and not for ruminants (cows, sheep, goats, etc.) There is a difference in the amount of various minerals, including iron and phosphorus.
Hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Horse feed

Thank you very much!!!! Have a great day. Dara Bradell

Where are you from? Las Vegas

How did you locate this forum? ask.com