Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding DURING colic episodes

Hi Dr Getty

Although we do our best to prevent colic, impaction colic can still happen. I have sufficient literature available RE: Prevention thereof. However, I am not able to find much literature on what to feed your horses [assumimg of course they want to eat] during colic episodes. Here in SA our rougahges at this time of the year, are really poor: High lignin content - high indigestible fiber levels. We do not have sugar beet pulp. During this time: would we try feed "low fibre" diets that are highly digestible or "high fibre" diets - since thereotically that is the main culprit for the impaction. What is the digestibility of fibre of wheat bran? What is the vets rational of feeding epsoms salts at this time. How much should one feed per meal time and for what time period [Technical info requested from both a biochemistry/physiological point of view].
Thanks

Margaret

Where are you from? South Africa

How did you locate this forum? equine sci. update

Re: feeding DURING colic episodes

Hello Margaret,

High fiber diets do not necessarily cause impaction colic. However, if the fiber source, as you correctly mentioned, contains a large amount of lignin, then problems can occur. The older the plant, the more lignin is produced by the plant.

So, you still want to feed a high fiber diet, since this is what is best for your horses’ digestive system. Wheat bran is high in fiber but a word of caution – it is very high in phosphorus and without an additional calcium source, you can create an imbalance between calcium and phosphorus (ideally 2:1, calcium:phosphorus). Do you have access to alfalfa? Even in a pelleted or cubed form, it would be an ideal addition to wheat bran.

One thing you can do is soak the hay in warm water before feeding. Water will not soften lignin, however, it will plump up the non-lignin portion, making the meal softer in general.

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used as a source of magnesium and as a laxative. Perhaps it is being fed to increase gastrointestinal tract motility and bring more fluid into the hind gut in an attempt to prevent colic from the hay. It will cause loose stools but as long as it is not excessive, it will not present a problem. But, here again, it is important to have calcium in the diet to balance out magnesium.

I hope this information is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr Getty

I am aware of low Ca:P raio in wheatbran - and one will obviously balance out your horses ration accordingly, [at the last resort with the addition of feedgrade limestone.]

To me: Roughage[fibre] is essential for the horse as they are trickle feeders and have evolved as continous feeders. Besides, saliva and therefore bicarbonate of soda [which then buffers the feed in stomach - and therefore prevents gastric ulceration] only gets produced when horse is eating, while acid in the stomach is continually produced. Therefore, if anything I am a bit "paranoid" [if that is the correct word] about ensuring that my horses always have roughage to eat... this can of course cause [and it has] conflict when one stables ones horses at a livery yard.
RE: soaking hay - once again if you are in a stable yard [thereotically one has no "say" - especially with regards to feeding of your horses - they "know it all" - yet have NO training in this field, and you might have!!]it is impossible to get them to do this. TOOOO labour intensive, and then ironically IF you horse gets colic - vet bills are to YOUR account... when thereotically the colic was caused by their poor feeding practices and should be to the stable yards account [as far as I am concerned... however, I am getting off the track here].

How does Epson salt increase tract mobility? and at what quantities [per day/per meal... over what time frame?]

So bottomline: - What are your feeding recommendations for horses DURING episodes?
eg per meal: 1 kg wettened wheaten bran + "x" grams of limestone (or lucerne - if available.....(however, RE lucerne, that is quite a radical change to their diets and might cause other digestive problems (microbes in LI not adapted to lucerne)... [will most probably have to get mixed with molasses meal or syryp {syryp not freely available} for palatability reasons + salt [encourage water intake... which is also an ESSENTAIL part of correct feeding]

For your info: As mentioned earlier - most of our hay [round or square bales] gets cut when grass is FAR too mature [farmers obviosly adopt for quantity (get more money at the end) and not quality and unfortunetely, our grass [except for lucerne {alfafa}] does not gets "graded" ... you basically get what you get...In fact bales are in fact very dusty, hard stemmed {very little leaf]and sometimes contain "weeds" [both poisonous and non-poisonous]... there are no control measures {quality issues} taken. However, if that is the only roughage source available.... what do you do...??!!

Any advise appreciated....

Thanks
Margaret

Hello Margaret,

I can see that you are in a difficult situation. Your assessment of a horse’s need for a continual source of roughage is quite correct. Is there any chance of moving to a different boarding location where the managers take more responsibility for the horses’ health?

Epsom salts – magnesium sulfate attracts water into the large intestine and therefore, expands the bowel. This causes the secretion of the hormone known as cholecystokinin (CCK – secreted from the duodenal area of the small intestine), which stimulates intestinal motility.

When you talk about feeding “during episodes,” I am not clear about your question. Certainly, if a horse is experiencing an episode of colic, no food at all should be offered until the blockage is cleared.

You can feed Lucerne – but change over gradually so that the microbial population has an opportunity to adjust. Though sweetened Lucerne is not my first preference, it will provide the additional roughage and calcium you need to balance out the hay ration. There also other legume hays such as red clover and lespedeza – perhaps these are available.

If you do not feed a legume, you can use limestone. Limestone contains 36.1% calcium, so you would need to estimate out how much calcium is in the total diet, and compensate for the calcium deficiency with the appropriate amount of limestone.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi

Me again...

I always thought that cholecystokin decreases gastric motility and delays gastric emptying, thus affecting transit time and the rate of prececal starch digestibility.??? And that CCK was liberated from the mucosa with the presence of fats and oils in the SI and when peptides and other digestive products reach the duodenum.?

Regarding not feeding 'anything until blockage is cleared'.... I am not sure about elsewhere in the world... but sometimes our horses "suffer" from impaction and/or spasmodic colic for more than a week, in spite of drenches done by our vets... surely one can't supply them with no feed/hay/pasture?...or have I misundertood? what do you recommend as a feeding regime during this "type" of episode!

Thanks for your imput... much appreciated!

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Yes, it is true – CCK is secreted by duodenal mucosa in response to chyme that is high in fat (and to a lesser extent, starch and protein). CCK signals the gall bladder to contract, so that fat digestion can be initiated, and it works along with Gastric Inhibitory Peptide (GIP) to slow down stomach motility to inhibit stomach emptying. CCK also stimulates the exocrine function of the pancreas to produce digestive enzymes.

However, the reduced motility occurs in the stomach. Further along in the small intestine (in the jejunum), endocrine agents alter the force and frequency of propulsive movement. CCK stimulates propulsive action (specifically peristaltic motility – there are several types of motility).

Ah – I understand better now about the disorder you are describing. When I use the term, “colic” I am referring to a medical emergency that is acute and requires immediate attention. But, I believe I understand you to be describing a “chronic” situation – more of what is referred to as “a large intestinal blockage” or simply put, “constipation.”
Fiber is important to feed, but if there is too much indigestible bulk, as in your case, impaction is the result. So, what I would suggest is plenty of water and exercise, along with a supplement designed for constipation (such as psyllium seed meal). Also adding chopped carrots to the diet will be helpful (plus they love carrots!).

About water, a rule of thumb is 10 to 12 gallons of water each day. Since the weather is turning cold in your part of the world, horses typically do not drink as much water as they should. So, if you can provide a water heater that warms the water to at least 50 degrees F, that would be very helpful in getting them to drink more. Also, if water consumption is a problem, add salt (plain salt) to the diet to encourage them to drink more.

Also exercise is very important for normal intestinal function. If they are not being worked, at least let them turn out and graze.

Dental care is necessary since adequate chewing is critical when eating high fiber roughage. If the fibrous lignin is swallowed without being thoroughly chewed, it will be more inclined to form an impaction.

And, finally, a good worming program is important to prevent constipation. Intestinal infestation of worms can cause intestinal blockages.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty