Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fungus related to feed?

Dr. Getty
My 9 yr old mare has always been prone to fungus. However as soon as I switched her food from Purina 400 ( + mineral supplements and Source)and coastal hay to Seminole Gold Chance 10 and T&A (light alfafa)with no supplements her fungus got a great deal worse. I have tried EVERY fungus remedy in the book and nothing works. I believe that it is feed related. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

- Jackie

Where are you from? Odessa, FL

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: fungus related to feed?

Hello Jackie,

I am not able to find the ingredients in Purina 400 (are you certain of the name?). However, it’s the Seminole Gold Chance 10 that’s giving your problems. So, I notice that it contains yeast – this may be the problem. I would avoid any feeds that contain yeast. It also contains a large concentration of corn, which is poorly digested and ends up being fermented in the hind gut.

So, you are right – excessive fungal infections can be diet related. I hope this information is beneficial.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I never thought of the yeast as being the problem! Thank you so much for your advice.

Where are you from? Odessa, FL

How did you locate this forum? search engine

I also wonder if the Source had anything to do with it being less severe. I know a couple horses that had skin conditions clear up after feeding Source. One actually had his permanent "bird catcher" spots disappear that he had for years. I think there's something to be said about the microorganisms in it.

Where are you from? Florida