Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mineral blocks - overload?

I was asked by a friend the other day whether I thought there would be a problem with her mare. She has been eating chunks of her mineral block at a time and she is a couple months pregnant. She thought her mare might be lacking minerals .

I hope I told her correctly but wanted to check my info - it is my understanding that horses only crave salt and she's probly eating it for the salt content not because she has some mineral deficiency (they sweat really bad in hot, humid Florida). I also told her she could be receiving dangerous levels of some things like selenium and that she should probably switch to a regular white salt block.

I also have a question, is there any potential ill effects to the foal since the mare has eaten about three mineral blocks just within a few weeks? If she goes to the regular salt now should everything be OK?

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? searching for equine nutrition

Re: Mineral blocks - overload?

Hello Tiffini,

You are correct in being concerned. Salt – plain salt (preferably iodized) should be available at all times either in the form of a lick or added to meals. (By the way, once the foal is born, the mare will require extra salt for adequate milk production). And having fresh, clean water at all times is essential.

Since she is eating large amounts of the mineralized block, it is likely due to her wanting salt. And, if the block is sweetened, she is eating it because it tastes good!

Since she is sweating a great deal, she does require more minerals, but a mineralized salt block is not adequate for a pregnant mare. Instead, she should offer a plain, iodized salt block, plus a supplement designed for the extra needs of a mare that is pregnant, and later lactating. Vita-Key makes a product called “Mare and Foal” that I offer on my website store because I approve of the ingredients.

As her pregnancy progresses, she will require additional nutrients to maintain her increased energy needs. The last three months are when you see the most amount of change and growth (she will gain between ½ lb and 1 lb a day!).

I think the foal will be fine. However, your friend would do better to make some changes like I described.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Tiffini,

Source is a seaweed product that does not contain micro-organisms. Instead, it is a very nutritious product that is high in micronutrients (trace minerals). Since it is high in iodine, I would suggest that the salt like you provide be free of iodine.

Dr. Getty

Whoops - I was trying to post really fast and blurted out the wrong term. Thanks - I meant to say micronutrients

Where are you from? Florida