Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Paint horse with issues

I have a new 5 year old Paint gelding that I show in halter classes. (about 1300lbs) He is in great shape, being ridden too. I have a couple issues I would like to address:

He has an EXTREME sensativity to flies/bugs of any kind. What can I do?

He is a bit more excitable than I would like...he will really shy from all kinds of things. Will a nutritional supplement help this?

I have noticed him licking dirt from time to time? He must need something...suggestions?

I would appreciate any/all suggestions...Thanks

Coleen

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? searching for help with horse eating dirt

Re: Paint horse with issues

Hi Coleen,

Your gelding would likely benefit from additional B vitamins in his diet. I recommend a B complex (such as B-Plex by Horsetech). This will do two things – first, it will assist in resisting insects and second, it will have a definite effect on his disposition.

Licking dirt is generally due to not enough salt in the diet – does he have a salt lick that he enjoys? Or you can add one ounce of plain iodized salt to his diet each day, instead of a lick.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for the advice.

Where can I find the B-Plex? How is it given? Is it something that I can given on a daily, on-going basis?

He has a mineral salt block that he does not seem to touch. I will try the idodized salt. Can I just use my table salt from home, or would you recommend somethng else?

I'm looking forward to seeing how he changes.

I VERY grateful for your help and for this site. Thanks again.

Coleen & "Harley" (aka: Porkchop)

Hi Coleen and Porkchop!

I answered you directly at your email address, but I'll also post this response for the benefit of others.

B-Plex is made by Horsetech and I offer it on my website's Free Shipping Store (accessible from my homepage). You may also be able to find it at your local feed store.

The maintenance dosage is 1 ounce/day. However, in cases such as yours, I suggest feeding 2 ounces/day until you see results. Give it a little time -- a month or so.

About the salt -- no need to buy anything fancy. Plain, iodized salt from your grocery store will do just fine. Feed 1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) each day.

It is my pleasure to help. I'll look forward to hearing how Porkchop (I love that name!) is doing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr Getty,

I can't tell how hopeful (and releived) I feel with the advice you've given me!

I have order the B-Plex and look forward to returning with positive results.

A Million Thanks!!

Coleen & Porkchop