Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
APF

Hi Dr. Getty,
I've been reading some information on the internet about APF (Advanced Protection Formula) for horses and also humans. Its advertised as is a high potency adaptogenic herbal supplement designed to improve the adaptive response to horses in training and under stress, and to provide safe, long-term immune support in both horses and humans. They seem to have some well known professional riders promoting their product.

I wanted to ask your opinion on this supplement.
Thanks.

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: APF

Hi Lori,

This product claims to target the stress response, thereby assisting horses with their immune function, as well as losing weight. And, if it does, in fact, do as it claims, it would be a worthwhile product.

Stress upsets the hormonal balance of horses, making fat storage more likely. Interestingly, however, stress has an individual response. Some horses actually lose weight when stressed.

The formula seems to be proprietary, so I cannot speak to specific ingredients. There does not appear to be any harm in trying it. Perhaps you can, and provide me with your feedback.

All the best,

Dr. Getty