Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Balanced Nutrition

HI
I would like your opinion on the perfect feeding routine for my varity of horses. I am on a budget, but would like to see my horses in better condiiton. I have a 1 year old percheron, 2 year old T/B, and an 11 year old Mustang. The Mustang is an easy keeper, as well as the perch. Although recently the perch has started looseing weight even though they are on a thriving pasture. My T/B is a toothpick. Its seems like I cant feed him enough. I would like to know what I can feed that won't make my T/B crazy but will help with both youngsters development. Also I would like to see the Mustang thrive. He is not underweight at all, I am just trying to improve in general. I feed a timothy orchard grass mix hay and Complete Horse feed. I think my T/B is not doing well with the Complete Horse because he only eats it for a few minutes at a time and then paces around stomping his feet. On other messages you recomend a feed high in fat, fiber, and protein, and low in starch. What percentage is high and low for this? None of them are in performance sports, so they just need somthing balanced for everyday life. Also what about B snd E vitamins, will they help?

Where are you from? NW Washington

How did you locate this forum? search for equine nutrition

Re: Balanced Nutrition

Hi Amy,

If your TB’s appetite has recently declined, there may be something else going on. Have you had his teeth checked recently? Weight loss can be due to medical problems and/or worm infestations, as well.
If you’ve determined that he’s healthy, then it would be better to feed him a high fat feed. Look for one that has at least 7% fat and at least 14% fiber. Protein should be between 12 and 14%.

Nutrena SafeChoice is worth looking at. Triple Crown Low Starch is also good. And, to this, I would suggest you add some flaxseed meal. This will provide additional lysine, that your young ones need as well as additional fat and Vitamin E. Nutra-Flax is excellent.

You may also want to consider giving them Ration Plus, to help them gain weight, as well as help the bacterial flora produce B vitamins.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

The complete horse feed I give them is 14% protien, 2.5% fat and 20% fiber. Maybe if I add some alfalfa pellets and flax seed it would be enough fat. What do you think? Also, what benefit is there to beet pulp? The TB seems to be in good health. He does have two large bony bumps on each jaw bone and I don't know what it is. I thought maybe they are teething bumps but, I don't know if they are supposed to be that hard.

Where are you from? NW Washington

How did you locate this forum? search for equine nutrition

Hi Amy,

Yes, adding alfalfa and flaxseed will likely be fine. I really can’t say what the bumps are, but I would suggest that you have your vet or a dentist look at him since young horses do develop bumps on their teeth (I am not an expert in equine dentistry) that can protrude into the cheeks and can be painful. This may be why he is not eating well.

Dr. Getty