Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Best Horse Feed

Dr Getty:

I have heard many opinions on what a horse should be feed. I know that most people who own horses want the feed their horses the best product that has the highest value relative to horse health, temperment, ease of feeding and cost.

As a Tack Shop (www.onerider.com), we want to carry the best products for our customers. Many have asked us to start carrying a line of feed. We are considering Triple Crown, Nutro and BlueSeal but are willing to consider other companies if they offer a better product line.

I would greatly appreciate your comments on this decesion and I am sure many of your readers would also be interested in your thoughts as to what product line you would recommend and why.

Thanks...and especially for the great service that you provide. Harry

Where are you from? Newfoundland, Canada

How did you locate this forum? Chronicles of the Horse

Re: Best Horse Feed

Hello Harry,

Thank you so much for taking the business of feeding horses to heart. There are three feeds that I often recommend – SafeChoice (made by Nutrena) (ACCO brand, which is owned by Nutrena, puts out a similar product under the name, “Safe and Sound”), Triple Crown Low Starch, and Purina Ultium. The goal is to provide a feed that is not predominantly made from grain. Instead, these feeds are made from energy sources that are safe for the hind gut bacteria and do not cause dramatic highs and lows in the insulin response (that grains produce). These feeds are made from such feeds as beet pulp, flaxseed meal, rice bran, soybean meal, and alfalfa.

You might also consider stocking up on ADM Alliance products such as Moorglo and Natural Glo stabilized rice bran and rice bran nuggets.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty. I have a 11 yr. QH that has been foundered on the front. I currently have him on Purina Stragedy, but was wondering if the Triple Crown Low Starch would have less sugars in them for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Vicky,

Yes, definitely feed your horse a low starch feed. Strategy is grain-based and I do not recommend feeding it to a horse that has had laminitis. The goal is to remove all starch (grain) from your horse's diet.

I hope his condition was not too severe. If you need additional help with his diet and overall feeding care, please let me know. I'll be happy to assist you one-on-one via a phone consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I have a 23 year old Thoroughbred. He has lost weight this year and my vet has checked him out head to toe, with no health concerns (other than a heart murmer which he has had for 8 years now). He recommended feeding Buckeye Ulitmate Finish, which hasn't put the weight on him. A friend recommended Purina Mills Strategy feed for him. Is this a good food to use to help put weight back on him? Help! Winter is coming and I don't want him to loose much more weight.

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo

Hi Kim,

A senior feed would be best for your horse. But there are two things I would add to his diet. First, I would suggest you get Hard Keeper by Vita Flex. I believe there is a Vita Flex dealer in your area.

The second supplement is Ration Plus. This is very helpful in getting weight on horses because it allows more calories to be derived from the forage in his diet. Forage is digested by the bacteria living in the hind gut. And Ration Plus boosts their health. I can ship this item to Canada.

I would also add some alfalfa to his diet, if you're not already doing so.

Hope this is helpful. Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr Getty, Thank you for your quick reply. I will try the senior feed. He is currently getting alfalfa/timothy hay and I do add salt to his feed as well. I have a concern with adding the Ration Plus and the Hard Keeper. Are there going to be any interactions or conctradictions with feeding them plus food as well? I am just wondering how it will react to the feed (Senior) that I am going to be giving him and is there any known side effects? Also just curious if a horse had too much of one would that cause problems??? Not that I plan on doing that, but I just want to know what I am feeding and any side effects? Let me know. Thanks again for your help. Kim

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

Hi Kim,

You are wise to be cautious. Oversupplementation is one of my concerns and I pay close attention to this when making recommendations to clients.

Both Ration Plus and HardKeeper will go very well with your current feeding plan. Ration Plus is a prebiotic, providing nutrients to the bacterial flora in the hind gut. The result is more calories from forage, resulting in weight gain. And HardKeeper is a fat supplement high in omega 3 fatty acids.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Re: Best Horse Feed

Hi Dr Getty,

Well, my search for Ration Plus and Vita Flex Hardkeeper in Ontario Canada has come up empty. I can't seem to find these products in Ontario at all. I had another product brought to my attention that was the replacement for the Hard Keeper which is Farnham Body Builder. Have you heard of this product? Or do you know where I could get either Ration Plus or Hard Keeper in Canada?? Desperately seeking supplements!!

Where are you from? Ontario

Hi Kim,

I believe you mean Weight Builder -- that's made by Farnam and it is basically the same as Hard Keeper (Vita Flex is a division of Farnam). So, if you can find the Farnam product, that will be fine.

About Ration Plus -- go to State Line Tack's website: www.statelinetack.com. They have a store locator in the upper right hand corner and and there is at least one store in Ontario, that I found. They carry Ration Plus on their website, so they may have it in their stores.

Let me know if you're successful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty