Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
the right feed program

Hi.....I hve two 16 hh standard bred geldings. They are used for trail riding and pleasure. Sometimes jumping. They are currently being fed hay only...I would like to put them on a proper feeding plan, but don't know where to start or what to give them. One is 16 years and the other is almost 7. please help.
felicias_mum

Where are you from? Australia

How did you locate this forum? search bar

Re: the right feed program

Hello Felicias,

There are several ways to add to a hay diet. One simple way, since they are not being exercised extensively, would be to add Lucerne (alfalfa) to the grass hay, along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement.

Another, would be to add a complete ration that is low is starch – in other words, not made predominantly from grain. Since I don’t know what feed brands you have in your area, I cannot make a specific recommendation. However, if you’d like to tell me what your local feedstore carries, I can help you make a decision.

And, with any feeding plan, you’ll want your horses to have access to a plain salt lick, as well as fresh, clean water at all times.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr Getty,
Thank you very much u have been very helpful. My local produce barn has stuff like copra.....lucerne chaff.....Economix......Pony pellets......all kinds of multigrains........milrun........a few different kinds of oats. Should I mix molasses with the salt.....I can't find a produce that carries the salt licks.....so what do i ask for? a bag of salt? or is there a special brand or kind i should specify?
thanxs for all ur help so far
Felicias_mum

Where are you from? Australia

How did you locate this forum? search bar

Hi Felicias,

Are the pony pellets made by Spillers Seminole? They are very good. And, you do not need to add molasses (in fact, it’s better if you do not add it).

About the salt – just buy plain salt (preferably iodized) that you buy in the grocery store (for humans!) and give approximately 50 to 60 grams.

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty