Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dynamite horse products

I'm just curious, how do you feel about Dynamite supplements? I like the idea about the free choice minerals.

Thanks.

Where are you from? NH

How did you locate this forum? another chat site

Re: Dynamite horse products

Hi Jenn,

Which specific product are you looking at? Mineral supplements can sometimes cause unfavorable interactions if the levels are too high and conflict with other feeds and supplements that you may be feeding.

Dr. Getty

hello,
First time poster here and all the topics look very informative.
I was happily surprised to see a post about the Dynamite products. I have been in contact with one of their 'sales people' and of course she swears by their product line.
I am especially interested in Dynamite joint supplement Free & Easy, which the 'rep' said should be given along with the product feed supplement Dynamite.
This stuff is pretty pricey, and I can't afford to spend so much to TRY a product to see IF it works.
Of course the sales people selling the stuff will swear by it....so it would be great if some folks here, including Dr.Getty could post some info on Dynamite products.
Thanks and hope to see some posts about this.

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? I have the web site bookmarked for info and thought it a good idea to visit here

Hi Joanie,

I took a look at the Free and Easy product made by Dynamite and I see that the first item on the list of ingredients (which is always the highest in concentration) is Gelatin. Gelatin is not a good choice for joint health for several reasons. First, it is an extremely poor quality protein source, low in 6 out of the 10 essential amino acids. Second, it is not nearly as effective in rebuilding joint tissue as glucosamine and hyaluronic acid. And third, it is an animal protein, and I prefer to not feed horses animal products.

The website does not list the actual amounts of each component. So, for the reasons I mention above, plus not being able to adequately compare it to other products, I cannot give it my endorsement.

If you look at my website store, you’ll see a few joint products that I recommend. There are so many joint products on the market, but I only carry a few because these are the ones that I believe are worthwhile and recommend to my clients. One of my favorites is ActiFlex – both the liquid or powder. Every person I have recommended this to has had favorable comments about how well it works.

I hope this “analysis” is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hello Dr. Getty,
I've had this web site in my favorites for several months, and boy, am I glad I decided to visit....it's a great web site and this forum is excellent....thank you so much for providing all of us with your expertise!!
Thanks you for taking the time to check out the Dynamite Free & Easy....I am always sceptical of these 'natural' supplements, and since I can't afford to toss away money to TRY things, I do my homework...and this 'lesson' is an eye opener.

One good reason to do some research on these joint supplements is that there ARE soooooo many...I look thru my catalogs and my head swims at all there is to choose from. And, as usual, these companies really do take advantage of horse people with their prices.

I did visit your store and, Dr. Getty, I am just about ready to order some....
I think maybe your reply will also help the other gal that first asked about Dynamite. Hope she sees the post.

I'll be back with more questions, no doubt...so don't go anywhere!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? I have the web site bookmarked for info and thought it a good idea to visit here