Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
is my mare pregnant?

hi my name is Gabby. I ride a mare idk how old exactly she is at a barn that the owner doesnt care about the horses. but the people who actually live at the house take care of them we just groom them and ride them. the mare that i ride is really fat but i dont know if its just because she is eating alot but we only give the rite amount of grain and we leave her out in the feid that doesnt have alot of grass in it. the people that live there think she isnt pregnant
and they dont have that much expiernce with horses.they also dont have alot of money. the reason i say that is because i asked them to call a vet but its to much money. so i really need help! could you tell me some signs of if a horse is pregnant? and i cant get a vet to check her out so im lost. could u help me please reply quickly.i forgot to say that yes she has been moody.i also can feel something in her belly kicking so thats why im asking please tell me how to tell if a mare is pregnant!

love,and confused
Gabby

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? www.google.com

Re: is my mare pregnant?

Hi Gabby,

It really is difficult to tell if she is pregnant without a vet doing a palpation or an ultra sound. However, if she continues to get a bigger belly, and the rest of her is not getting fat, she could very well be pregnant. If you are truly feeling something kicking, then she is pregnant.

As she gets closer to delivering her foal, her tail head will get very soft, her vulva will relax and elongate, her udder will start to bag up and she may start dripping some milk. Also, she will start to swell in front of her bag.

If you can afford it, there is an excellent book that you really should have. It’s called “The Complete Foaling Manual” by Theresa Jones. You can read about it from my website’s homepage. It will tell you exactly what to look for and how to take care of her and her foal during and after her delivery.

She and the foal are going to need some veterinary care at some point. She requires vaccinations to boost the antibody levels in her milk so her foal’s immune system will be protected. And, just in case there are any complications, a vet should be on call.

Good luck! I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty