Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Best feed for a horse prone to tying up?

Hi i just found your very interesting site while researching tying up, and i was hoping you could advise me on what the best feed is to give my * yr old TB eventer during the season to prevent the risk of tying up and she has done in the past. (is mugna/mitavite or sugar beat any good?)
thanks alot
murray

Where are you from? Taumarunui New Zealand

How did you locate this forum? Through www.horses-and-horse-information.com

Re: Best feed for a horse prone to tying up?

Hello Murray,

The Mugna Mitavite is fine to feed for a performance horse. Tying up, during exercise, can be due to several factors, but one of the main reasons has to do with magnesium levels in the muscles. Therefore, I would first try a magnesium supplement to see if this is beneficial.

Dehydration is also a factor, so make certain that your mare is getting adequate salt and water.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty, couldn't EPSM (also PSSM) be highly likely in a case like this? From what I understand, a good majority of horses that have problems with tying up test positive for EPSM (the ones who are tested anyway). I've even heard speculation that it could actually be one of the main reasons that horses do tye up.

Hi Tiffini,

Yes, most definitely. The inability to store glucose in the form of glycogen, in the muscles, produces tying up in horses that are in training and these horses should not be fed diets that are high in starch. High fat diets are best.

Tying up can also be cause by mineral imbalances, dehydration, and overexertion. So, if the problem is consistently found during exercise and the horse even appears weak even when not being worked, a conclusive blood test is best done by a veterinarian.

All the best,

Dr. Getty