Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Are fats and oils metabolised aerobically or anaerobically?

Hi
I am just wondering wether you could answer a question for me. Are fats and oils metabolised aerobically or anareobically , and what is required in the horses diet to efficiently metabolise fats and oils?
Please email back to hanalrob@hotmail.com

Thankyou very much
hannah sharp

P.s what a great website!!!!!!!!!

Where are you from? England Norht west

How did you locate this forum? Through google

Re: Are fats and oils metabolised aerobically or anaerobically?

Hello Hannah,

All fat (which includes oil) is metabolized aerobically. Horses tolerate fat in the diet quite well, and is an excellent addition to the diet for the horse that is working or needs to gain weight. In order to start the metabolic process, some glucose is needed. Glucose is provided from carbohydrates and protein in the diet. This glucose serves as the “kindling” to “start the fire” so fat can burn in an aerobic environment.

Thank you so much! I am very pleased that you are enjoying the website!

All the best,

Dr. Getty