Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Headshaker

I own a 6yr. old Paint gelding. He is a headshaker and has been for almost 3 years. He is photic and
wears a Guardian Mask and nose net. He is on cypro
and I also use Gluta prods. per my vet.
Do you have any suggestions for me in regards to the
immune product? Would this be better than the gluta
DMG? I also use magn. but not Quiessence.

Thank-you Jill P

Where are you from? Loganville, Ga.

How did you locate this forum? I looked on the www for Quiessence

Re: Headshaker

Hello Jill,

Sounds like you are doing all the right things – masking his eyes from the sun, treating his immune function, and treating him with cyproheptadine. This drug is an antihistamine and also increases serotonin levels. Sometimes, vets will combine this drug with carbamazepine.

The Gluta DMG works on improving the immune system and prevents free radical damage. But, in addition to this, I would recommend adding a B Complex to his diet such as B-Plex.

You want to make sure that he is getting enough calcium. This is very important, especially since you are also giving him magnesium. If you add alfalfa to the diet, this will boost his calcium level.

Thank you for writing. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty