Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Diarrhea in lactating mare

I have a 5 year old lactating mare that has been having diarrhea for 1-2 weeks I feed her 1 scoop 14% sweet feed, 1 scoop oats,1/2 scoop alfalfa pellets, and all the hay she wants her weight is below normal and I feed her 3 times a day. The vet was just out and She gave her treatment for sand colic we checked her CBC,Chemistry and everything showed up normal how long after the colic treatment should she have diarrhea? and should i bran her weekly/ how much if so? I have never had a mare get the stool problem , please help?thank you.

Where are you from? Mims, Florida

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Re: Diarrhea in lactating mare

Hello Brandy,

Did she colic? Usually diarrhea is not the problem with colic. Also, when did she foal?

I would suggest that you give her Ration Plus. And, in addition to this, stop feeding the sweet feed for a while. The sugar can cause loose stools. Instead, offer her some moistened beet pulp.

Is she on a regular worming program? Any other changes in her diet or environment would be helpful to know.

But, put her on Ration Plus as soon as possible. This will stabilize the bacterial flora in the hindgut. It is available on my website or your local feedstore may carry it. Until you are able to obtain it, pick up a few tubes of ProBios and give her 15 mg each day (1/2 tube) for a few days. This is a probiotic and will assist in adding live microbials to her hind gut.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty