Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
antihistamines

Hi, Dr. Getty, Angel the old grey mare is back home,and we,ve just started the Ration Plus, so will keep you posted. I,m very excited, thanks for all that you do and the horses you help.We all are blessed to have you.I,ve learned so much just reading all the posts. I,ve used apple cider vinagar, and was surprized, within a week,NO MORE horse flies, and very few house flies. I,d love a home,healthy, remidy for mosquitos.Now a concern I have is about the vinagar.Can it be too acidic, and cause an imbalance in vitamins and nutrients? Also, I,ve just started giving my 3 yr old antihistamines. For three years,every July she brakes out in hives,itching and then gets tiny black crusted achne. So,I,m tring Tri Hist. Yesterday, it seemed to subside, and this P.M. the bumps were back.So I re-dosed her, and we,ll see.If this doesnt work, then I guess we,ll heve to have allergy tested, how ever she only does this, this time a year.What are your thoughts, and advise. Sorry I,m so long winded, I have lots on my mind.As Always, Thank you Dr. Getty, Rhonda Shanahan

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? I was looking for info. about certain type of hay.

Re: antihistamines

Hi Rhonda,

What a lovely compliment – thank you! I’ll be eager to hear how the Ration Plus is helping your mare.

About the vinegar – no it isn’t too acidic. The pH of your horse’s stomach is quite low – around 1.5, whereas the pH of vinegar is around 5.0, so you don’t need to worry. However, its effectiveness as an insect repellent is questionable. I’m pleased to hear that it seems to be working for you, so no harm in continuing with it.

However, for the allergic reaction, there are two supplements that will help. First, Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. Since she is only 3 years old, you don’t need to add a great deal – approximately 10 grams/day. And, second, add Thiamin (vitamin B-1) to the diet. It will calm the allergic reaction, as well as help in repelling insect stings.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty