Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feed and Supplements

Dear Dr. Getty,

Thank you, in advance, for all of your valuable information. I have written to you several times and follow your suggestions with much success. As a result I tend to not do anything without consulting you first!

I have a 7 year old QH Paint who is an easy keeper that does light to moderate work in the arena and on the trails. He is curently out at pasture for at least 7 hours a day and he gets good quality coastal hay with some pure alfalfa for added protein.

I would like to gradually get him back on feed. I have been thinking about Seminole's Meadow Herb. I would like to know your opinion on this particular feed. It is a textured feed as opposed to pelleted which I believe means it goes through less precessing. I plan to feed a minimal amount.

I have also been hearing alot about Enzymes and whole food supplements. I read an article that reccommended N-Zymes and The Missing Link. What is your opinion on these products and how do I know if my horse will need or benefit from either of these supplements?

Lastly, is there a product that is low in fat that will help him to get a shiny coat. I heard that many of the oils are great for the coat but I am afraid that he will gain weight again. I am getting ready to put him on Grand Complete per your reccommendation. Will this help overall?

Looking forward to your response.

Sue

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing

Re: Feed and Supplements

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for the very kind words! I am delighted that I have been able to help.

I took a look at the Meadow Herb feed and I do not care for it because it is made from barley and corn – not good choices. I would prefer that you offer a low starch feed. As you mentioned, you don’t want for him to gain weight.

You didn’t mention why you want to get him on a complete ration. But, here’s some food for thought… If he is getting plenty of pasture and has access to hay, both grass and alfalfa, you can offer him a very simple meal of beet pulp and flaxseed meal. Or, alfalfa pellets and flaxseed meal. And, to that, I would add the Grand Complete to round out the diet. Flaxseed meal (such as Nutra-Flax or OmegaHorseshine) contains quality protein, and omega 3 fatty acids, which will keep him healthy in a variety of ways, including keeping his coat shiny.

Seminole does have a couple of low starch feeds that you could look at, as well. The goal, with a horse that tends to put on weight easily, is to keep the starch level down. Starch increases the insulin response, which results in a higher tendency to store fat. The more fat he stores, the more resistant he can become to insulin.

If you give him Grand Complete, you won’t need Missing Link. Missing Link provides omega 3 fatty acids, but does not have the additional vitamins and minerals found in Grand Complete. And, a horse his age typically does not need additional digestive enzymes. Grand Complete does have yeast, which assists in maintaining healthy bacterial flora. And Grand Complete, too, will help with his coat.

Thanks so much for writing.

Good things,

Dr. Getty