Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Crystalyx for horses

Hi Dr. Getty,
I've written to you a couple times on some other issues and I want to thank you for your advise. I have a new concern for my 8 year old thoroughbred.

Where I'm boarding right now the lady that owns the horse next to mine free feeds her horse Crystalyx in a tub. I thought these were meant for cattle but she tells me it's a mix especially for horses. I read on their website that its a form of concentrated molasses, hydrolyzed vegetable oil and minerals.

I'm concerned because sometimes her horse pushes the tub into my horse's stall, which he loves, but I don't know how long he has had access to it. Could he colic or founder from consuming something so high in sugar? My horse's diet consists of free fed grass hay and 2lbs of Purina Platform Pleasure each day.

Thank you for your advise.

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: Crystalyx for horses

Hi Lori,

I took a look at the website for Crystalyx and it seems that there are a variety of supplements marketed under that name. However, you did mention that this product is basically a sweetened mineral block in a tub. The “advantage” of feeding it in a tub is that horses cannot break off large chunks of it.

Nevertheless, I do not like feeding sweetened salt or mineral licks. Horses love them and they typically consume too much (not to mention get a sore tongue!).

Colic and founder are unlikely – so I wouldn’t worry about that. But, if your horse is overweight, additional sugar is not the best thing to offer. If your horse is craving salt, I would suggest that you place a plain, white salt lick in his stall. And, if you find that he is licking it excessively, go ahead and add 2 tablespoons of plain, iodized salt to his feed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty