Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
protein in flax seeds

Hi all,
Doc, or anyone...do raw flax seeds have alot of protein....I have a TB who has gotten alittle too energetic lately and I'm wondering if its the extra flax (about 1 c. daily)
thanks
christy

Where are you from? ny

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: protein in flax seeds

Hello Christy,

Yes flaxseeds do have a lot of protein. However, protein does not affect horses’ behavior in a negative way. Perhaps he is feeling more energetic because he is feeling healthier?!

Dr. Getty

Well, he usu gets 1 qt. of 10% grain and we recently added 1 c. 2x daily of a "balancer" that has 26% (protein). He's not under wt. or in heavy work, just kind of the routine at this barn.
I'm new to this, but several people have told me that too much protein will affect some horses, and it seems to coincide...
I've taken him off everything except his 10%, to see what happens. I should mention that we have very good hay mix right now..alfalpha, timothy and grass...
He's also on a Glanzen GL which is a supplement with biotin, flax, glucsamine etc. which I like alot...I added the flax seeds just to help his coat as we have issues with gnats.
Any recommendations w/b greatly appreciated as to what and how much to add/subtract..."Harry" is a 6 yo TB about 16.2 who I use for hunter/jumper and trail. Lately he's only been working about an hour a day 5 days a week due to time constraints. He has no soundness issues.
Thanks again for your time.
Christy and Harry

Where are you from? ny

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Christy and Harry,

Since he is not growing, and you are not working him extensively, there is no need to add the high-protein balancer. The Glanzen GL is fine for his feet and joints. Plus, it is high in omega 3 fatty acids. So, additional flaxseed meal is not necessary.

Since you are feeding an alfalfa/timothy mix, he is getting high quality protein.

So, I would suggest discontinuing the flaxseed meal and the balancer. If you feel that he is jumpy, he would likely benefit from a B complex supplement such as B-Plex. This will help with his insect sensitivity as well.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr. Getty,
He's been off the Balancer and Flax seeds for about 2 days now and he was about 75% back to his normal mellow self. I didnt know if it would clear his system so quickly, but I feel so much better.
I'll look into the B complex you mentioned.
Christy