Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding a recovering 2 yr old Thoroughbred

While working as an excersie rider at a thoroughbred training / racing facility, I fell madly in love with a gelding I was riding - unfortunately - he was sent to the track too early, to a bad trainer, and has returned with a badly bowed tendon. His businessman owner wants nothing more to do with him, as a year and a half rest was the recommendation. SO; I am taking him home...
Can you offer any suggestions as to feeding regime / supplements, etc. for such a horse - he will be on pasture 24 /7....
Would be very grateful for any assistance!

Thank you so much!

Where are you from? Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada

How did you locate this forum? browsing internet

Re: Feeding a recovering 2 yr old Thoroughbred

Hello Laura,

What a lucky fella he is to have found you! And, I am delighted that he will be able to be on pasture 24/7. If the pasture does not contain any alfalfa, go ahead and give him a flake each day to boost his protein intake. This will provide a better mix of amino acids so he can produce body proteins in order to heal.

Since he will be resting and not doing work, he won’t require a large amount of additional calories, unless he is underweight. You can offer him a small amount of a low starch feed – check with your feed store to see what low starch versions are available. Or you can offer him some beet pulp for energy and some flaxseed meal for additional nutrients, including omega 3 fatty acids.

As far as supplementation is concerned, you ought to give him a complete vitamin/mineral supplement that contains plenty of vitamins E, C, and the B vitamins. These nutrients are very helpful in helping tendons heal. Healing is slow, so be patient.

I know you will enjoy him – please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty