Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horse allergic to bug bites

Hi Dr. Getty,

My 17 year old qh gelding tested positive for allergies to bug bites, so this time of year he is quite miserable. I am hoping that you can recommend something that might help him cope with the flies somewhat. The only supplement that he gets at the present time is Biotin II - 22X. He wears a fly mask and leg wraps and I keep the barn cleaned up - out there 4 times a day. I also use the fly predators, so there really aren't that many flies, but he has a fit if just one or two are around.
Thank you. Donna & Barney

Where are you from? Millville, New Jersey

How did you locate this forum? While looking up Purina Feeds

Re: Horse allergic to bug bites

Hi Donna,

You’re doing a good job of managing the fly infestation. I have found that a B complex preparation, such as B-Plex, is beneficial in repelling flies and calming the nervous system. In particular, Thiamin (vitamin B1) seems to serve well as a fly repellent. Some people swear by using apple cider vinegar. There is no harm in trying it, however, I have had better results with the B vitamins.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty