Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
salt in drinking water

Hi Dr. Getty:

I have another questionm its about sodium in drinking water for horses. Is a high count of sodium in water bad for horses or for that matter will they even drink it. I want to put water up to my barn, but the well water we are on is high in sodium, so we have a water treatment system in our home for it. But if we were to go directly from the well to the barn the water won't be treated, I look forward to your reply.....thanks again ,Debbie, Sandy & Becky........

Re: salt in drinking water

Hi Debbie,

The best thing you can do is have your well water analyzed. If the concentration of sodium chloride is more than 0.9%, then it is too high. If it is close to that, then you do not need to add salt to the diet. However, a plain salt lick is always a good idea to have around (not a sweetened one, or a mineralized one).

If the concentration of sodium chloride is above this level, you will have to offer filtered water to your horses.

You can pick up a water testing kit at most home supply places such as Home Depot or Lowes ( I don’t know if you have these stores in Nova Scotia).

Let me know what you find out.

Dr. Getty