Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My QH eats his manure

Hi Dr. Getty,

I am hoping you may have some insight for me. We have a 10 year old quarterhorse gelding who eats his manure. Sometimes when I go in to clean his stall there are only tiny bits left. He is turned out all day, we also have 2 other horses, so he is not alone. My son rides him regularly and we do some showing with him. I have researched this problem online and found this is called Coprophagia. Yesterday we were at a small show, it was hot out, and my son rode him in 3 short classes. Our horse started to show some signs of possible colic, but then had heat stroke. We managed to cool him down quickly, but he had been drinking all day and was not sweating. I am concerned that he may have some sort of deficiency. We feed poulin grain, he was on beet pulp plus minerals, vitamin, protein when we bought him in June. We have changed his grain over to endurance and MVP. He also looks to be loosing a bit of weight. Please help

Where are you from? New Hampshire

How did you locate this forum? Google

Re: My QH eats his manure

Hi Leslie,

Coprophagy in adult horses is a concern and usually indicates that he is not getting enough protein or enough fiber. Also, stalled horses often develop this habit. But, since your horse is turned out all day, that would not be the issue.

Is he turned out on a pasture that has adequate quality grass? Are you feeding Buckeye Endurance or a different brand? And, which MVP supplement are you feeding? Buckeye Endurance is mainly corn, which is not the best feed to offer horses.

You may want to evaluate the quality of his protein intake. The protein quality of grass forages can be enhanced by adding alfalfa or another legume.

In hot weather, water intake is very important, as are electrolytes. It is best to not hydrate him with plain water when he is exercising extensively.

As far as weight loss is concerned, make certain his teeth are floated each year and that he is on a good worming program, including worming once each year for tapeworms, using a wormer that contains prazaquantel.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thank you for your response. I guess I should have told you he was on Poulin Endurance. I have decided to put him back on Poulin beet pulp, Poulin MVP and Cool Cals. I have started all my horses on AccuLytes and a Vit. E-Selenium supplement. There is not grass in the paddock area, but they do get hay throughout the day. I am going to pick up some alfalfa/timothy cubes for him so he can get some more protein from that. This I will introduce slowly.

As for his water intake he drinks alot. More than my other two horses. I am hoping that now with the AccuLytes in his feed he will retain more from his water intake.

I have all my guys on a worming schedule and they do get wormed for tapeworm and I alternate 2 brands for their wormings. His teeth were just floated in July, so I know his teeth are good.

If you have any input it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leslie

Where are you from? New Hampshire

How did you locate this forum? Google

Hi Leslie,

The beet pulp and low starch versions that you have chosen are fine. Check the selenium content of these feeds – you may be overdoing the selenium by offering an additional vitamin E/selenium supplement, especially if your hay contains selenium.

The alfalfa cubes are a good idea to improve the overall quality of the protein in his diet. In fact, I would suggest adding alfalfa hay to his hay ration.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty