Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
beet pulp

Hey Dr Getty
I have a quick Question for you. I have heard you recomend beet pulp a couple time and was just wondering what its apx nutritional value is. Is it high in protein, starch, fiber, or fat, what kind of vitamins is it generally high in, that sort of thing.

Thank You!

Where are you from? CA

How did you locate this forum? originally, google

Re: beet pulp

Hi Jamie,

Beet pulp is an excellent energy source, high in fiber, and non-soluble carbohydrates, that does not have the starch that grain has, making it a safe alternative for feeding grain. It has about the same amount of calories as oats: 1.06 Mcals/lb for beet pulp vs 1.30 Mcals/lb for oats. Here’s some more stats:

Crude Protein: 9%,
Lysine: .54%
Fiber: 18.2 %
Fat: .5%
Calcium: .62%
Phosphorus: .09%
Magnesium: .26%
Potassium: .20% (this is a great feed also for HYPP horses)
Vitamin A equivalent: 88 IU/kg (more than oats)
Vitamin D: 580 IU/kg (oats has hardly any)
B vitamins: fair amounts

Beet pulp can be fed moistened or dry.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Dear Dr. Getty,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I find this info very interesting. You have reccommended beet pult to me as well for my easy keeper. It appears to be such a good source of protein and fibre with so little fat. It makes perfect sense that my gelding would do well on it. Here's where my confusion lies..........why then are so many people feeding beet pulp to horses that need to gain weight? We have had several at our ranch that swear by it. Please explain. Thanks.

Sue

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing

Ok, that makes sense. One more thing. In a horse with insulin resistance grain leads to excessive wieght gain and furthers the insulin resistance. Will beet pulp do the same thing, or does the different kind of carbohydrate prevent this? What is the difference between the carbohydrates in grains and the carbohydrates in beet pulp?

PS I have not been riding tequila as much, and he started to gain some fat deposits, so I cut back his rations just a bit to pull out some calories, and he's losing the deposits, without me upping his work load

Where are you from? CA

How did you locate this forum? originally, google

Hi Sue,

Beet pulp is a very safe way to add energy (calories) to the diet. When a horse needs to gain weight, many people simply add more grain or grain-based pellets. This increases the risk of laminitis. Beet pulp does not have the starch content of grain, making it safer.

However, the best way to increase weight it to add more fat to the diet since fat has more than twice the number of calories than beet pulp. So, while beet pulp will help with weight gain, fat sources(such as from flaxseed meal or rice bran) will produce faster results.

Dr. Getty

Hi Jamie,

No, beet pulp has a very low glycemic index (the measurement of how much blood sugar, glucose, rises after eating a feed). Grain has a high glycemic index. The higher the glycemic index, the more insulin is released. And, the more insulin is released, the more fat is stored. And, the more fat is stored, the more insulin is released because high amounts of body fat lead to insulin resistance. As a result, the body pumps out even more insulin in response to grain because the tissues are resistant to it. More fat is stored, and the cycle starts all over again.

Beet pulp contains non-soluble carbohydrates. These are different than the soluble carbohydrates found in grain. Soluble carbohydrates are digested early in the digestive tract, resulting in elevated glucose levels in the blood. Non-soluble carbohydrates, like those found in beet pulp, are not digested until they reach the cecum and large intestine (hind gut) where the bacteria ferment them down to volatile fatty acids. These fatty acids, while providing needed energy for the horse, have no effect on insulin levels.

Thanks for asking! And, I’m very pleased to hear that Tequila is doing well!

All the best,

Dr. Getty